Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thai Fresh Rolls


Tonight for dinner I am making Thai Fresh Rolls! Every time I eat at a Thai restaurant, I order fresh rolls because they are so awesome! My step-mother is Thai, so she taught me how to make them at home. The only thing I couldn't get down was the recipe for the sauce. So I searched and searched the internet for a recipe and came across this sauce recipe on myrecipes.com and although it isn't exact, I actually like it a lot better than the typical fresh roll dipping sauce. You can literally put anything you want into the fresh rolls, but this is the typical ingredients I use. You can find the rice paper wrappers at any Asian market and sometimes regular grocery stores. This dish is so light and healthy for you, its a go to meal if your counting calories!

Thai Fresh Rolls

Ingredients

Dipping Sauce

  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon chili flakes (less if you want less heat)
  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
Directions

Combine all the ingredients with a whisk until emulsified. I would recommend doubling the recipe if your eating rolls as a meal!



Fresh Rolls

Ingredients

  • 8 inch round sheets rice paper
  • Romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1 cucumber, in 3 inch long strips
  • 1 carrots, in 3 inch long strips
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Thai basil or regular basil, chopped
  • 3/4 cup chicken or shrimp
Directions

Bring pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut chicken into 3 inch strips (if using) and add to boiling water. If your using shrimp, you would add to the boiling water also. Cook until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare all the vegetables. Assemble cooked meat and veggies on plate. Fill a large bowl with warm water. I usually like to assemble the fresh rolls as I eat them. To assemble, submerge 1 rice paper sheet at a time in the bowl of warm water and let it sit for about 10 seconds. Flatten paper on a plate (not a paper plate!) and add meat and veggies, making sure not to over fill it. To wrap, just fold in the sides over the filling and roll tight like a burrito. Dip in sauce and enjoy!
*If making rolls all at once, make sure to cover the rolls with a damp paper towel to keep the rice paper wrappers soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment